If you’re one of 18 million Americans suffering from spring allergies, the sneezing, coughing and watery eyes you may experience makes it difficult the season.
Reducing your exposure to allergens throughout the day can significantly reduce your symptoms.
Tips to Reduce Allergy Symptoms
1. Cover your eyes. Wearing sunglasses can protect your eyes from pollen and other allergens, which will reduce the amount your eyes water and itch.
2. Cover your hair. If you tend not to wash your hair every day, wearing a hat or headband can reduce the amount of pollen that collects in your hair. Remember to keep your hat outside or in a bag to reduce the amount of pollen in your home.
3. Try over the counter allergy medicine. Antihistamines that don’t include sedatives, such as Zyrtec, Allegra and Claritin, can be taken during the day so you don’t get drowsy. At night you may consider taking sedating allergy medicine such as Benadryl or Dramamine. It’s important to know, too, that antihistamines only protect against actual allergies. Some people are just “irritated” by certain things like dust or grass. It’s hard to be certain without taking an allergy test, but nasal sprays contain steroids which protect against both allergy symptoms and irritants. You may consider using a nasal spray such as Flonase or Nasacort.
4. Breathe through your nose. Breathing through your nose can help minimize allergy symptoms by lowering the amount of dry air entering your lungs. If you’re too congested to breathe through your nose, use a nasal spray or a decongestant to break up the congestion.
5. Avoid sitting in your clothes after being outside. If you suffer from spring allergies, make sure you put your clothes in the laundry and take a shower to avoid dragging allergens around the house.
6. Clean out you sinuses. Sometimes you don’t immediately experience allergy symptoms, but the allergen may be sitting in your sinuses. Using a sinus solution with a Neti Pot or other sinus rinse can help wash out these allergens, especially if you’ve been outside for a long period of time. This also helps lessen the risk of getting a sinus infection.